Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Flat Tire: Brompton pssssss

The other day I was happily riding my folder along the river Rhine in Bonn, when all of a sudden a loud noise from the rear and an intensive "psssss"  irritated me.  I looked behind, then down to the rear wheel.  No doubt,  a flat tire, was my diagnosis.  Luckily I was near a  good bicycle shop where they could help me within some hours. The repair job was done to my satisfaction, and it came out to this bill:

Bill of Flat Rear Tire Repair (Bonn 2011)

It is worth mentioning, that on my bill it read that after close inspection no alien object ("kein Fremdkörper") could be detected.  In my interpretation, the tire blew because the original material (tube) was of poor quality. 

Next time I may want to fix it myself.  Some quite helpful pages and video clips can be found out there on the internet.

The most helpful comment I found in this post on the internet:
"Recommend installation of TUFFY (or similar product) Bicycle Tire Liners between your tire tube and tire carcus.
Ever since suffering two (2) flats on succeeding days I have used tire liners within ALL (ATB, CROSS and Road) bicycles). Posted by William R. Walling on November 02, 2007 at 01:41 PM GMT"

Here is a link to follow if you want to learn more about this solution:  http://mrtuffy.com/


Well, and there is a German solution, too.  A mechanic from my
Brompton dealer in Sankt Augustin told me that many, many bikers have been happy with the Schwalbe Marathon plus tire.   Here is the link to a company with a world wide reputation producing not far from Cologne, here in Germany.
http://www.schwalbe.de/

I found some quite favourable experience reports and comments here: http://www.bikeradar.com